The path to success starts with a great education, and I am committed to making sure every student has the opportunity to succeed. In the United States, education has historically been, and should primarily remain, a state and local responsibility — but for too long, states and local school districts have been inundated with federal mandates and bureaucratic red tape that has done little to improve student performance. We must eliminate wasteful and duplicative federal programs and allow states and local school districts the freedom to best serve their student populations, and give parents every available tool to provide the best possible education for their children.
As a state senator, Karin Housley…
- Voted to strengthen and restructure public employee pensions, including those of Minnesota educators
- Voted to significantly increase Safe Schools Revenue, allowing local school districts to make investments in needed security enhancements and updates.
- Consistently voted to increase per-pupil funding.
- Introduced, and helped enact, additional funding for rural school districts to pay for transportation.
- Voted to prevent a student who assaults a teacher from being returned to the classroom of that teacher.
- Introduced, and helped enact, deferred maintenance building funds for school districts.